Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
One of the most popular techniques in diamond photography is the use of interesting and unique surfaces with contrasting colours. You can experiment with a range of colour options, from a single solid colour to several shades.
This method allows you to effectively demonstrate your jewellery. However, don’t go overboard. You should avoid using too many shades to avoid dispersing the viewer’s attention and distracting from the main object in the image.
Use Natural Elements
One of the diamond photography trends is to combine jewellery with flowers and plants of similar colours. Natural objects are still the most popular props for eye-catching jewellery.
Take, for example, beautifully folded twigs, snags, and flowers. You can also photograph jewellery on blurred textural background with a strong close-up. In reality, such a background could consist of anything from skin to leaves.
Use Marketing Techniques
When photographing diamonds, remember to use your imagination and creativity. Thanks to your photos, shoppers will be able to see the entire storey. Mannequin busts, which are available in most craft stores, can be used to make your accessories more realistic. Personally, I prefer to use busts that are black. They make diamonds look more elegant and sophisticated.
Change Poses & Set-Ups
If you’re photographing diamonds for online sales, place the object against a white background. You can also take photos with a reflection on the mirror’s surface. If you want to photograph in a creative way, you should consider the composition.
Earrings can be worn on a dark or even black background. The black colour will draw attention to small details and allow crystals to shine. Use any decorative “holders” you have for your precious stones. However, jewellery photography props should not be overbearing and should not detract from the main subject.
Track What’s Working
Begin by compiling a list of recommendations and guidelines for your diamond photography and try to adhere to it step by step. The consistent use of the same settings and conditions is the foundation of successful diamond photography.
You must document all of the camera settings you use for a specific shoot, as well as the position of objects, the background, lighting conditions, and so on. This will come in handy if you need to take photos for several days.
Patience and practice are required when shooting diamonds. Sharpness is important, but lighting is the most important factor. A better image can be produced by using soft, uniform lighting. Remember to charge the camera’s and flash’s batteries.
Turn on some soothing music, grab a cup of strong coffee, and browse through the first photos you receive. Then make some adjustments and you’ll be able to take good shots. You may need to use jewellery design software to understand how an item is made and photograph it in an unusual way.
Don’t Forget About Post-Production
Install Lightroom, Gimp, Picasa, Adobe Photoshop, ACDSee, and other photo editing software to make your photos look more professional.
It’s difficult to get the perfect shot while considering all of the important factors. You can control the white balance, light and shadow, colour correction, focus on the right details or eliminate minor defects, smoothen the metal, and so on with photo editing software.
However, it takes a long time, and if you don’t have much experience in this area, you should outsource editing to professional photo editing services.
Adjust the Necessary Sharpness with a Mask Tool
If the jewellery edges appear too sharp due to the presence of metals or the stone itself, I recommend using Photoshop’s mask. To use it, select Sharpness from the Filter menu.
There are three sliders that affect the values of Radius, Threshold, and Amount. You can adjust the necessary sharpness by dragging these three sliders. This is a simple task for true experts in the field of 360 photography.
Use the Advantages of a Pen Tool
This tool is a godsend for those who work on retouching images of loose diamonds and other stones for online catalogues. Working with the background is one of the most important tasks in such cases.
It is possible that you will need to remove and replace it. Use one of the Photoshop methods to achieve the desired result. One of them is the clipping path.
You can use this tool to remove the background without affecting the object itself. If you do not want to perform this manipulation yourself, you can hire a professional to do it for you.
Note: If you want to make some adjustments to the photo just let me know. I can do it for you at a very low cost. You can hire me to edit your photo.
- Mastering Smartphone Photography: A Comprehensive Guide with Pro TipsIntroduction: In the era of powerful smartphones equipped with advanced camera technology, mastering the art of smartphone photography has become more accessible than ever. Whether you’re an amateur or a seasoned photographer, these tips will help you elevate your smartphone photography game. From composition techniques to editing tricks, let’s dive into the world of capturing …
- Things All Photographers Need to Know About CopyrightUnderstanding copyright is essential for photographers to protect their creative work and navigate the legal landscape surrounding image usage. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the key aspects of copyright that all photographers need to know. 1. What is Copyright? Copyright is a legal right that grants the creator of an original work exclusive …
- How to Maximize Image Quality in PhotographyMaximizing image quality in photography involves a combination of capturing techniques, camera settings, and post-processing methods. This comprehensive guide explores various aspects of the photography process, from pre-capture considerations to post-production steps, all aimed at achieving the highest possible image quality. 1. Start with Quality Gear Investing in a high-quality camera and lenses is the …
- Lightroom’s HDR Display Features ExplainedLightroom, Adobe’s powerful photo editing and management software, offers a range of features to enhance and optimize your photographic workflow. One of the notable features is HDR (High Dynamic Range) display capabilities. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore Lightroom’s HDR display features, their functionalities, and how they can be leveraged to improve your editing experience. …
- Mastering Amazon Product Photography: Best Practices for Captivating Product ImagesIntroduction In the competitive landscape of e-commerce, effective product photography is a crucial element in driving sales and creating a lasting impression. When it comes to selling on Amazon, where customers heavily rely on visual information, your product images play a pivotal role in convincing potential buyers. In this guide, we’ll explore the best practices …