Table of contents
1. Create a New Layer
Open the photo of choice in Photoshop.
Go to the main panel, and select “Layer”. Next, click on “New” and then “Layer from Background”. This step is essential since later on, it will let you alter the frame color much easier.
2. Specify the Dimensions
Now, we’ll specify the size of our classic frame. In order to do this, navigate to the “Image” tab. Click on “Canvas Size” in the fly-out menu. For those who prefer using Photoshop keyboard shortcuts, press Alt+Ctrl+C/Alt+Cmd+C.
In this window, you’ll be able to change the size of your Photoshop border. Since we want to use relative values, when specifying the border’s size, we need to check the corresponding box. After that, enter the preferred width and height.
An important thing to note here is that the number you entered will be distributed between opposite sides. So for example, if you want the height of your border to be 5 inches, you need to enter twice that number, which is 10, in this case. Click “OK” once you’re done.
3. Fill It with Color
To fill that space with color, we’ll have to navigate to the bottom of the Layer’s Panel and click on the fourth option from the left. You’ll see a new menu pop up. Choose the first option – “Solid Color.”
4. Move the Fill Layer
Your image is now blocked from view by black canvas. To fix this, move the layer you just added below the one that contains your image.
5. Alter the Color
To alter the frame’s color from black, click twice on the layer’s color swatch. Drag to select a color and desired hue.
6. Done! Enjoy the Result
Now you know how to add a border in Photoshop in 5 simple steps. move on to more difficult Photoshop tutorials, like how to make a collage in Photoshop.
Method 2. Adding a Custom Border
If you want to get creative with your frame by adding an interesting pattern – follow the steps below.
1. Fill the Layer
Upload a photo of your choice. Then, we’ll fill the layer with a color, as we did in the previous tutorial.
2. Set the Color to White
You’ll see the Color Picker window appear. Select white color and press “OK”.
3. Place your Photo in the Foreground
Your image can’t be seen now, since it’s completely covered with white. In order to place your photo back in the foreground, you’ll need to invert the mask. Go to the Image tab, and choose the second option from the top – “Adjustments”.
Select “Invert” from the fly-out menu that appears. Alternatively, use the Ctrl+I/Cmd+I hotkey. This will bring your image back into the foreground.
4. Grab the Brush
Open the Brushes Panel. There are several ways to do this. You can either click on the Windows tab, and then choose Brush, or activate it using the F5 key. Choose a brush you want to draw a frame with.
5. Start Drawing
Start drawing your frame. You can change its color once you’re done with any hue you wish.
Note: If you want to make some adjustments to the photo just let me know. I can do it for you at a very low cost. You can hire me to edit your photo.
- Best Wedding Photography Tips – How To Take Wedding PhotosThere are several wedding photography tips to keep in mind when photographing a large wedding. Weddings are stressful not only for couples and their parents but also for photographers. The most important job of a wedding photographer is to capture the live moments from the couple’s most important day. It is difficult, strenuous, and, of …
- The Top Six Photoshop Design Trends for 2021Everywhere we look, we are bombarded with brands, graphics, and visuals. The power of design is unrivaled, making it a critical component of a company’s success in achieving greater reach, larger milestones, and growth in today’s world. Viewers make snap judgments based on what they see, so designers must create cutting-edge and captivating work. Graphic …
- How to Take Photographs of ChildrenPhotographing children can be a difficult task at times because most children dislike posing for the camera (especially when they are too busy doing something they like). Everything happens at a breakneck pace, making it difficult for the photographer to capture the moment. As a result, many of us end up with blurry and out-of-focus …
- CURRENT PHOTOGRAPHY TRENDSCamera and editing technology have advanced rapidly in the last decade. Previously, only a few trained specialists would be interested in photography, as the equipment and management required extensive knowledge. Photography has become far more user-friendly and affordable in recent years. Almost anyone with a powerful camera can experiment with photography as a medium, and …
- Digital Or Print Which Is Best In The World Of PhotographyIn the past, you simply did not have to make a choice between any other photography methods than film. Everyone had a film camera and everyone either learned to develop their own film or took it to their local processor. Now, you do have a choice and many people who are used to film wonder, …